Director JJ Abrams Returns to Helm 'Star Wars: Episode IX'

Posted 2017/09/12 0 0

J.J. Abrams has been announced as the new helmer of Star Wars: Episode IX, replacing Colin Trevorrow.

 

In a statement released on Tuesday, Lucasfilm confirmed that Abrams, who directed first installment of the current sequel trilogy The Force Awakens, would return to direct and co-write the as-yet-untitled film.

“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for," said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy in the statement. "I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy.”

Abrams will co-write with Argo and Batman v Superman's Chris Terrio and produce alongside Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Bad Robot and Lucasfilm.

Abrams steps into the director's chair after Lucasfilm announced last week that it would be parting ways with director Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World), who had been slated to direct the installment.

"Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ," Lucasfilm's statement said. "We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon."

The Jurassic World director was the latest high-profile departure from a Star Wars production after Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who were replaced by Ron Howard on the Han Solo spin-off movie in June. Lucasfilm also removed Fantastic Four director Josh Trank from an unknown Star Wars standalone movie in 2015.

Abrams’ return to the Star Wars universe was predicted by some in the industry given The Force Awakens is one of the biggest box office successes in the history of film. The 2015 film, which brought back the cast from the original trilogy alongside new characters, brought in more than $2 billion worldwide and stands as the biggest blockbuster in the history of North America when not adjusted for inflation.

"Star Wars: Episode IX" is currently set for release on May 24, 2019.

Comments